Pages

8.24.2010

Aud's Easy Peasy Pollo Pesto Penne

I made this one up without aid, so I reserve the right to give it a ridiculous alliteration and rhyme-filled name.  And yes I said "pollo" instead of "chicken" to keep the P trend going.  And yes, I am aware that the names "pollo" and "penne" are from two different cultural styles of cooking... but it's actually just an Italian dish...


Now on to the food...

Tonight I made penne pasta tossed in pesto and topped with cubed chicken breast which was sauteed in white wine.  And it didn't suck!  So here is the recipe I made up for those who may be in the same cooking rut that I am in...


Ingredients

  • 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • McCormick's Pesto spice pouch (and accompanying ingredients which were 1/2c. water and 3 tbsp. olive oil)
  • 1/2 c. white wine (I used Chateau Morrisette's Our Dog Blue, which is probably sweeter than it should have been, but way tasty, and I recommend.)
  • Olive oil to coat the skillet
  • Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Flour (a sprinkling... PS: So obsessed with this healthy alternative to white flour...)
  • Whole Wheat Penne Pasta (as much as you want.. I used like half a box so Matthew had plenty of leftovers to pack in his lunch)
  • Black Pepper
  • Garlic Powder

The Steps
1. Cook pasta per box directions.

2. Prep pesto "sauce" per pouch directions, adding cooking pasta once it's combined well and heated throughout.  Simmer, stirring occasionally.

3.  Cube two chicken breasts into small bite size pieces.

4. Meanwhile, we cook the chicken in a separate pan.  Coat pan in olive oil, add chicken.  Sprinkle generously with garlic powder and black pepper.

5.  Once outsides are starting to whiten and cook a bit, add white wine. Then sprinkle a little bit of whole wheat flour over the chicken (not too much- I added this step just to thicken things up a bit).

6.  Cook chicken until done (I let mine brown a little on the outside).

7.  Add cooked chicken to pesto pasta.  Stir and heat throughout.  Serve with an oversized glass of white wine and enjoy!

XOXO,


No comments:

Post a Comment