Pages

5.28.2010

Smokey the Baby

You didn't think I could let this news story out of Indonesia pass without comment, did you?  Below are untampered photos of a two year old child, Ardi Rizal, in Indonesia smoking cigarettes.

Before I lay into this, a couple things:
1.  I know Joy Behar isn't for everyone, but I love her.  I think she is smart and very funny.  It was from her show on HLN in the middle of the night last night that I was apprised of this child.  A couple hilarious quotes from the show regarding this situation:

"Weren't these kids alarmed when the first words out of his mouth were 'who's got a f***ing light?'"

"He's too young to read the surgeon general's warning."

"You would think he has been doing it his whole life...And he has."

"Is he doing smoke rings?!"

(responding to a statement about the baby's father) "This guy makes Jon Gosselin look like Father of the Year."

Ahh, love to laugh first thing on a Friday.  But seriously!  Okay and one more thing before I throw my opinion out there...

2.  I always try to make a huge effort to be culturally respectful and tolerant of all cultures. And I realize that in some parts of the world this is far more accepted than in the States-- the whole children smoking thing.  That is my sensitivity to culture and acceptance statement...

But.... (okay here we go...)

Um....WHAT in the HELL are these parents thinking?!?  They say that he throws temper tantrums if he doesn't get to smoke.  Um, do you mean like any and nearly every two year old throws a temper tantrum when they don't get their way??  They call it the "Terrible Twos" for a reason, people!  This is an instance of the parents letting their kid rule them before he can even fully communicate.  And the parents being straight up negligent. I know the U.S. news media likes to make everyone paranoid about the risks of any and every risky behavior, but some facts about the damages of smoking are non-negotiable.  And I know we can't live so much in a bubble that other parts of the world remain unaware of such consequences.

What I found amazing is... This kid rocks at smoking. Don't believe me?  Check it out!   Ardi's like the old soul sitting at the corner of your favorite hole-in-the-wall bar chaining and watching the news every night.
And let's talk about the fact he smokes two packs a day.  Obviously!  Did you see how many drags he takes/minute?  About ten thousand million, if I had to guesstimate.  (Not really that many)

I worry about Ardi.  His health, thus far, does not appear wholly promising.  And if people who chain smoke from age 18 and up can run into problems by, well, let's say mid fifties if not earlier, does that mean Ardi will run into problems in his thirties?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment